Sim Players and Creators Forum. Not Associated or Affiliated with EA

HomePortalDownloadsFAQSearchRegisterLog in
We are moving to SimsaholicsForever.com. Everyone is welcome at our new site being set up now. Come and visit us!
ATTENTION ALL - AdFly has been removed from the forum. (Simsaholics Forever is AD-FREE to members and guests.)
Share | 

Gaming PC Question for Everyone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtsyAmy495
Admin Mag
Admin Mag

PostSubject: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   29/4/2012, 01:31

Help Anyone,

Hi Dr. Isla. Had a question for you.....don't know if you know the answer or not, but figured you may be the best to ask so far. I was looking at some pcs to purchase & you know that I'm a HP girl, but I just saw some really cool looking "gaming pcs" & was wondering if you know anything about them or not?

Here is the info:

Cyperpower PCGamerXreme GXi250 Gaming desktop pc
Features: Intel Core i3 2100 Processor 3.1GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium (there's a ton more info on this & another one I was looking at that seem promising) Great reviews on them & many say they have tons of fans & run quietly.

I'm thinking I'll just make the leap, cuz they sound AMAZING & I'm planning to put it on my bigscreen JUST for my simming, LOL!!!!! Tired of crappy ole game issues!!!!

Please let me know if anyone's actually used or know anyone who has. Thanks luv u

Anyone can criticize...can YOU inspire? - unknown

Back to top Go down
http://artsyamy495hangout.tumblr.com/
Hazentw
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   29/4/2012, 03:17

I've walked past this unit in BestBuy but never have I looked at it, so I just did a google background check on it and the two things that would have me looking at something else are the video card and the processor. Both are very low end and can be bought together for under $180.00.

So the system to me is already saying upgrade and if you were to replace the video card to something middle of the road, the processor would be straining to handle it.

Not sure if you have something like Memory Express in your area or not but for around the same price you could get twice the machine.

So I guess what i'm saying is stay away from the box stores and find a place that builds them to your specifications.
:)

Back to top Go down
deviouslyvivid
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   29/4/2012, 03:25

I will say that I have a Cyber Power gaming laptop that I custom made on their website. It was pretty awesome 3 years ago when I bought it. My only complaint is that it gets hot pretty quickly. SIms doesn't run great on it but Left 4 Dead runs pretty amazing. I believe your video card and ram are going to make the biggest impact on the SIms.
Back to top Go down
http://simanarchy.wordpress.com
ArtsyAmy495
Admin Mag
Admin Mag

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   29/4/2012, 03:42

@ Hazentw--- Thanks for this input!!!! Never heard of Memory Express....will definitely look into to! I just want to get the right computer for the Sims.....I have enough laptops & pcs for other stuff! I have honestly NEVER purchased a gaming pc in my life!!!! LOL I've bought the game systems, but being that I am more Sims now than other games.....I'd like for it to be right & be able to handle all the EP, SP, cc, and stuff that comes out for the Sims3.

@ DV---- Thank you too for your input! Now, I am totally lost!!! LOL But, I am soooo happy you were able to let me know your experiences.....especially with the Sims on this brand!

I will defo focus on the video/graphics card & ram......but does anyone have any idea what is actually GOOD??? Is it even possible to find one already built, or do you almost HAVE to have one built? I want one that will last & I can upgrade mem, etc. when needed.

@ Jack---- See when you come to the States you could've just popped on by & built us BOTH a cool gaming pc!!!! LOL Stupid Atlantic Ocean & miles!!! too funny

Oh no help me help me help me

Back to top Go down
Hazentw
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   29/4/2012, 06:35

Amy I started building my own several years ago and Memory Express was just a hole in the wall shop when I started buying parts and cards from them back then. Now their big here in western canada.

Here is the breakdown on what's important in that PC your looking at:

Motherboard: P8H61-M LE/CSM Rev 3.0 w/ Dual DDR3 1333, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16 $74.99

Processor: Core™️ i3-2100 Processor, 3.10GHz w/ 3MB Cache $129.99

Video Cards: N520GT GeForce GTX 520 GT 1GB PCI-E w/ DVI, VGA, HDMI $69.99

Zalman Case: $69.99

Total: 344.96

So basically they are charging you another $300.00 for a mouse a keyboard a O/S and stuff like a powersupply, harddrive and memory which is cheap like borscht now and running the sims on this system is just not worth it or advisable.

If you'd like I could put together a list of the four must haves to play the sims smoothly until your silly at the same overall price point, then you'll just have to find a place in your area to sell you the parts and they will probably build it for you to. :)

Back to top Go down
ArtsyAmy495
Admin Mag
Admin Mag

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   29/4/2012, 07:18

Brain fart

Okay, that sounds GREAT for the list!!!! I would NEVER get any of that right that you just listed for the parts!!! LOL Jack sent me something somewhat similar to this not too long ago & all I could do was READ it......cuz, I didn't get ANYTHING!!! too funny too funny too funny And, he said he was gonna build it himself!!!! So NOT my thing or level of understanding!!!! So yes, anything you have that I can make the best decision would be AWESOME! I have totally got to move or visit where you guys are, because there is a LOT of stuff I could be getting done here! too funny

FYI: I am in the Chicago area.....so there SHOULD be somewhere for parts & putting together???? You'd think? Do you know if there are any trustworthy on-line builders?

Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   29/4/2012, 10:46

@ Amy you said

@ Jack---- See when you come to the States you could've just popped on by & built us BOTH a cool gaming pc!!!! LOL Stupid Atlantic Ocean & miles!!! too funny

Oh no help me help me help me

well there is another way you could do it. if you were to buy all the items for building your own gaming p.c on line and have then all sent to me. i can build the p.c for you. then i can install all programs needed. ie windows7,and all updates once the p.c is up and running i could then pack it up and have it shiped back to you. it would take a wile to do it this way put you would then have the p.c you wanted.

wile you have a think about that. i will have a look on line and see if i can fine some where in the US that can do it for you. if not you mite want to think about what i said. :) luv u luv u luv u
Back to top Go down
Hazentw
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   30/4/2012, 03:35

More bang for your buck. :)

Amy, here is the info on a entry level gaming system offered by Memory Express, if you don't mind shopping online you can buy it here:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36957

V_GT1040A Gaming System

Only$779.99

The Performance to Game at a Price you can Afford!

The Velocity GT1040A Gaming System is the combination of performance and unprecedented reliability, with every component carefully selected and extensively tested to give you the best blend of Gaming Power and Affordability.

Features

AMD FX 4-Core Processor Black Edition
•AMD Turbo CORE Technology
• New Instruction Capabilities (AVX, FMA4, XOP and AES)
•AMD Balanced Smart Cache
• AMD Wide Floating Point Accelerator
• HyperTransport Technology up to 5600MT/s,
• Supports memory up to DDR3-1866, and low voltage of 1.35V and 1.2V

Video Performance with Radeon HD 6770
•ATI Eyefinity technology
• EyeDefinition Graphics with DriectX 11 Technology
• AMD HD3D Techloogy
• Advanced GDDR5
• 3rd Generation TeraScale Engine
• HDMI 1.4a
• UVD3
• Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Mater Audio Support
• OpenGL 4.1 and Open CL

Upgradability
• Supports AMD®️ AM3+ FX / Phenom II/ Athlon II processor
• Supports up to 6 SATA III devices.
• Supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 for HDD performance and/or security
• 4 memory slots support a total of 32G memory.

Specifications

Processor: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Black Edition

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Motherboard

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB Graphics Card

Memory: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory

Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM SATA

Optical Drive: 22x DVD+/-RW

Chassis: Velocity IW-C583 Mid Tower

Power Supply: Power Man 500W Power Supply (3x18A on 12V)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36957

Back to top Go down
ArtsyAmy495
Admin Mag
Admin Mag

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   30/4/2012, 03:47

@ Hazen ---Okay, so is this one that you would actually buy for yourself? Honestly? Or is there something else that you know it would need adjusting or improving?

Do you think this one will work specifically well for the Sims? I will check out the link now. Thank you so much luv u

Back to top Go down
Hazentw
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   30/4/2012, 04:23

Amy if I had a budget of $800.00 this is diffinately the one I would get. To me the biggest selling point is the motherboard and the following quote sums up all I could possibly say about it.

"The ASUS M5A97 Evo (motherboard) is perfect for those who don’t need multiple GPU configurations but craving to push further the Buldozer Octa Core processor without breaking your bank. Performance, features and total value you cant go wrong with this board, you get more than what you pay for."

Back to top Go down
ArtsyAmy495
Admin Mag
Admin Mag

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   1/5/2012, 06:50

@ Hazen---- I checked out the link & Memory Express does look really good! Only problem for me is that they don't do international shipping & they state your orders have to be shipped to an address on your credit card & you can't pay & ship to another address. Too bad......they should go global.

UNDER FAQ ON M.E. SITE: (Under Shipping)

Does MemoryExpress.com offer international shipping?
We are unable to ship orders outside of Canada and we only accept credit cards issued in Canada for payment.
Can I order a product and ask you to ship it to someone else?
We are unable to ship orders to addresses not on file with your credit card company. If you require shipment to an alternate address you must have that address added to your credit card, and then enter that address in your memoryexpress profile.

I was really looking into it, but decided I'd better check their shipping policies first, because I couldn't find anything that wasn't Canada related. crys

Back to top Go down
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Gaming PC Question for Everyone   1/5/2012, 12:36

Amy the one Haze linked to is ideal. Hopefully you can find one somewhere else that's got the same or similar specs.

If you're looking specifically for sims, any gaming rig is going to massively exceed the requirements, so you don't need to worry so much about specifics.
The only thing you've really got to worry about is NOT having a 32 bit OS, because that limits the amount of RAM available to the entire system.
Why anybody would have a 32 bit gaming set up is beyond me, but you never know, there's a lot of people ripped off out there haha!

The only thing that worries me about that set up is the cooling.

I'm running a similar graphics card (few versions lower, I'm on the 6620 1GB) on an AMD Quad Core (much lower end, the Black Edition is the best AMD processor you can get, mine's just an A8 - 3520M, just notebook style shizz) and let me tell you, even in my little laptop (which is at the higher end of average and has extra cooling slots) it gets HOT.

I'm off to buy a cooling plate right now! But what I'd say is just be careful where you put your tower - make sure it's ventilated and look at extra cooling if you can.

Definitely go for AMD over intel for processor every time!
Intel is overpriced, you pay for the label. AMD is honest and that quad core you're looking at will easily outperform the i7.

more love more love
Back to top Go down
http://scribblingsbyme.blogspot.com/

Gaming PC Question for Everyone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1