Sim Players and Creators Forum. Not Associated or Affiliated with EA

HomePortalDownloadsFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Hello and Welcome to Simtech, Sims Community Forum. Our Admin Staff are here to help you settle in and find your way. To join us fill in the quick registration form, Admin will approve your request as soon as possible. Happy Simming everyone :)
ATTENTION ALL - AdFly has been removed from the forum. All downloads are now ad free :)
Share | 

Temporary: isla's FAQ's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
isla87

PostSubject: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   24/4/2012, 02:11

What self respecting tech section has no FAQ thread!?

I spend a lot of time over at Yahoo Answers helping with the Sims questions over there, as there are tons of people with questions to ask, but not many people who can answer them!
So, I was thinking, since I've answered over 1000 questions over there so far, I'd go through them all and make a little FAQ list for us.

The list I post here will contain the usual: crash troubleshooting, recovering unusable save files, dealing with error messages, and other common issues that everyone has at some point or another.

But what I feel like we're missing in the community is an up to date FAQ page that keeps track of the questions that are frequently asked NOW as well as than the simple common stuff people always have trouble with.

Yahoo Answers is a great way for me to keep track of the current problems that people are having, and from that I can decide which topics need to stay posted up for people to read in future, and which ones can be taken down when the issue has been solved.

So this is going to be my work in progress space for this FAQ list, which will be changing a lot over the next few weeks and months.
When I've got everything I need to get started, I'll make a new Section within Game Issues that will have one page with the FAQ's linked up to separate threads within the new section.
It'll be a nice, tidy directory Very Happy

For now, I'll just give you all a link to my profile page over there, where unfortunately you can't specifically search for my answers in the search box they give, but you can look through the pages of my answers. (click 'More Answers' underneath the answers tab)

My Yahoo Answers Profile Page

In the meantime, if there's anything specific you'd like me to include in the FAQ's, just let me know and I'll add it to my little list Very Happy

**Update. Yahoo Topics have been added. These are apparently things that are going on right now that lots of people are having issues with.**
-Yahoo FAQ's Marked with **-

Planned Topics:

- Game Crash Troubleshooting:
Crash to desktop (CTD)
Hard Crash (Turns off Computer)

- Game Speed improvements:
Freezing issues (not leading to CTD) & Lag
Loading times (System requirements related)
Loading times (Custom Content related)

- Errors:
Save Game Errors (Common: 12, 13 & 16 but will cover all)
Save File Recovery
Service Initialisation Failure
'Serious Error has Occured'
'There was an error during Startup'
Disk Authentication Error
Base Game Incompatible
Incompatible Mod Error

- Graphics Issues:
*Pets Graphics Problems (Distorted Animals)*
Blue Lots
Invisible Sims
Sim Graphic Problems
---- Corrupt Custom Content (move existing guide)
---- Deleting Cache Files
Other Graphic Irregularities

- Store:
Turn off Store advertisements in game permanently
Store Download Issues

- Sim Issues:
Sims Stop Ageing
WA Travel issues (invisible/duplicated sims after/during travel)

- Miscellaneous:
Finding Your Game Version
Fix "Running Disease"
Disable Memory System.
*Installing .package Files*
*Installing & Working With Pose Player*
*Installing Custom Skins*
*What Will Transfer With My Sim? - Detailed guide to end confusion over what needs to be installed before sims will work.*
*EA Story Progression System Explanation vs. Modded SP system*
*How To Overstuff Households (More than 8 Sims)*
*Changing EA Default Pictures (For Exchange Uploads)*

- Late Night:
*Changing Music in Bars/Clubs*
*How To Completely Disable Late Night Celebrity System*

- New Showtime Bugs:
Sim reset instead of performing.
Sound loss from Karaoke Machine/singing/music

Last edited by isla87 on 28/5/2012, 21:07; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://scribblingsbyme.blogspot.com/
InaMac69
Founder Mag
Founder Mag

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   24/4/2012, 08:52

great idea hunny ooooh you are a clever cookie luv u luv u

**Live - every moment - Laugh - every day - Love - beyond words**
Back to top Go down
http://inamac69.tumblr.com/
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   24/4/2012, 09:34

this is great isla. and a great idea to. :) luv u luv u
Back to top Go down
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   24/4/2012, 10:14

Aww thanks haha!
It just hit me randomly that we're missing a simming FAQ section, and that seemed like a pretty massive gaping hole for a forum that's been open this long!!

This will keep me out of mischief for a while haha! Lots of work to do! Very Happy

And I just checked... I'm nowhere near 1000 answers at Yahoo crys I knew it was over 900 but it's only 945. Poo.
Hopefully by the time most people have read this I'll be nearly at 1000 so I don't look mental LOL!

more love
Back to top Go down
Hazentw
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   25/4/2012, 04:22

great idea :)

Back to top Go down
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   25/4/2012, 13:11

Thanks Haze!
cuddle
Plenty of work to do to keep me busy! Very Happy
I'm going to have everything typed up in separate documents first in a (probably pointless) attempt to stop myself going crazy haha!

more love
Back to top Go down
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   28/4/2012, 22:43

*Update*
Added FAQ's and wanted explanations from Yahoo. (Marked with **)
Making a start on writing these up now!

I think I've got all the main common issues now, but if there's anything that anyone wants me to write a guide on/explain in this section, let me know!
Anything at all. Even if it's something totally random or something really simple.
Even if it's something I don't know. If there's a way to do it, I'll find it, haha!

more love more love
Back to top Go down
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   16/7/2012, 14:07

*Another update*

I've got most of these guides fully written up - they just need to be organised and posted in a new section.

Last chance to add in anything new before I get it all posted!
Anything at all you're having trouble with or have had trouble with in the past, let me know and I'll give it a full section in here.

I think I've covered most things already, but any ideas you have are welcome!

After it's posted up, I'll still be able to add new things in, but it'll be better organised if I can have as much as possible written beforehand!

more love more love
Back to top Go down
Eden777
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   16/7/2012, 18:49

This is great and would be very helpful to all of us. I'd like to know if it's possible to have Late NIght bartenders and the ability to order food in a Showtime game. It's one of the things I don't like about Showtime--everyone is hungry all the time.

EDIT: I just read on the Sims forum that the latest patch 1,36 fixes this? Haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by Eden777 on 16/7/2012, 19:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://edens-sims.blogspot.com/
InaMac69
Founder Mag
Founder Mag

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   16/7/2012, 19:38

another for the techy bit is I keep getting a message onmy launcher "cannot connect to origin" would like to know more about this too kissy

**Live - every moment - Laugh - every day - Love - beyond words**
Back to top Go down
http://inamac69.tumblr.com/
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Temporary: isla's FAQ's   16/7/2012, 22:17

@Eden, I've got patch 1.36 and I haven't noticed that, but I'll have a dig around!
- That does sound right though, in the patch notes under Showtime it says "Showtime Performance Venues will be accessible as Late Night bars." and under Late Night it says "Late Night Venues can now receive gigs when the appropriate stage objects have been placed."
- so they've obviously been fiddling with the relationships between the two, it wouldn't surprise me if they've allowed access to things we need for Showtime from Late Night.

@Ina - I had that for a while, it stopped and then came back again! I'll do some more digging and add it to the list, but Origin connection problems are usually caused at EA's end, and it's more than likely something they'll have to fix. I'll see if there's anything that can be done from our end to sort it though Very Happy

more love more love
Back to top Go down

Temporary: isla's FAQ's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1