Sim Players and Creators Forum. Not Associated or Affiliated with EA

HomePortalDownloadsFAQSearchRegisterLog in
We are moving to SimsaholicsForever.com. Everyone is welcome at our new site being set up now. Come and visit us!
ATTENTION ALL - AdFly has been removed from the forum. (Simsaholics Forever is AD-FREE to members and guests.)
Share | 

A hard drive question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 15:27

Well I am back online finally. Went almost 5 full days with no internet. It went out Saturday and then Sunday morning my computer died on me. My mom surprised me yesterday by ordering me the Asus Republic of Gamers gaming pc from Best Buy. I am upset though; because there is cc on the Dell that I hadn't backed up on a flash drive yet. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to just take the hard drive out of the Dell and put it in the Asus??
Back to top Go down
http://jennysims.tumblr.com/tagged/downloads
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 15:47

Hi jenny. yes it is possible to do this. give me a bit of time and i will show you how it's done. i will open up the side of my spare pc and post step by step pic's on what to do. it's quite easy to do and follow. :) xx
Back to top Go down
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 15:50

Thank you Jack! I looked for answers online; but some said yes you could and others said no. I just dont want to lose anything on the Dell hard drive. And I will be buying an external hard drive to back everything up in one spot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 17:16

Ok here we go. so i have done this before so i know it works.

first take all leads out of the back of your p.c. lay on it's side and take of the side panel. do this with both your new and old p.c.

inside you new p.c you are looking for this. the lead that go's to the Harddrive. it should have a second bit coming of it. it should be marked on the connector P4 if you have this then you can do what i'm about to show you.

once you have found the right connector. do the following. take out the Harddrive from your old pc with this lead still on it.

looking inside your new pc for a spare slot to place and fix with the screws that you took out from the old one. you then should have something like this.

connect the spare P4 connector to the Harddrive from your old pc and the lead that was on it connects to this slot on the motherboard.

once all connectors are in place they should look like this.

Before you do anything look for all the connectors and make sure you know where they are all going. and make sure you don't rock any of the connectors side to side. they should just push in easy.

once this is all done. you can then place the side panel back on and wire up your pc to the power ready for the next part.

Once your p.c is turned on. it mite say downloading drivers or something like it would with a new USB stick.

ok so this is the easy and fun bit. it were you get all your files back.

Click on the start menu at the bottom left of your screen. the click on Computer/ then you should see this.

this is your old Harddrive you just put in. double left click on it. you should then see this.

click on users. you should then see this.

it should say what the name of your old pc was called. click on it and then you should see all you folders ect

once you have found everything you need. copy and paste to a USB Stick or something like that.

once you have got everything you need. you can either take the Harddrive you put in from your old pc. or you can leave it in for extra storage space. but you will have to Format it. you do this by just going back to Start Menu/Computer/Right Click on the Harddrive and then Format. this will delete everything ready to use as storage space.

Hope this works for you. as long as you have all the leads and connector you should be ok to get all you stuff from your old pc. :) XX
Back to top Go down
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 17:22

Thank you so much Jack! I have bookmarked this thread for easy find. As soon as I get the new pc [either the 22nd or 23rd] I will do this.
This is probably a dumb question; but I should set the new computer up first before doing this right? I am tech friendly; just not savey. Lol.

I really hope the new pc I chose [and my mom ordered] is a good one. It looks good; especially compared to the Dell I have been playing/creating on.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 17:36

yes make sure everything on your new p.c is running how it should. ie all updated with windows updates install antie virus ect. once you get round to putting in the Harddrive from your old p.c scan it with your Antie virus program before taking anything of it. just in case there are any viruses on it. :) XX

also if you are worried about doing anything. most computer repair shops would do this work for you. and it should not cost much. all you would have to do it take out the Harddrive from your old pc and take it to a repair shop and ask then to put the data on the a USB Stick.:) XX
Back to top Go down
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 17:57

I have another question; do you have a anti-virus software program that you would recommend? I have been using McAfee.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 18:34

This is what i have been using. it's awesome and very easy to use. and don't cost much. ESET Smart Security you can try out the trial version first it you like. that's what i did. :) xx
Back to top Go down
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 18:49

Thank you so very much Jack for helping me! Now I just have to play the waiting game. Lol. I actually just found your anti virus on the Best Buy website so I will see about getting it soon; that way I can have everything ready for when the new pc gets here!

Again thank you for helping me!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   17/1/2014, 19:27

When you buy the ESet Smart Security they just send you an Email with you activation code. :) XX
Back to top Go down
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   22/1/2014, 15:57

Hello Jack,

Ok; so I got the new pc yesterday; I got it registered and the anti virus installed.

I opened it up today; and wow, I have never seen anything this complicated. Lol

I wanted to show you pics of connectors and space. I hope these pictures help. I figured; pictures were be easier than me just trying to explain what I was seeing.

There is a space right above the hard drive in the new pc where I could put the old hard drive.

The cord on the left side of the screen is the one that connects to the hard drive. The red one goes to the dish drive it looks like.

The connector on the hard drive is labeled P8

I followed the wires leading away from the P8 connector and there is one labeled P9.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   22/1/2014, 18:30

To be honest hun. i would not be happy to say yes that's the right one to use. it's really hard to say yes from a picture. also to be honest it woudn't cost much to take the Harddrive from your old p.c into a p.c repair stop and ask them to put what programs and files there are on a USB Drive for you. sorry i could not help much.

and if this is anything to go by when you said your is something you have never seen before. how about this. this is the inside of mine.

Back to top Go down
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   22/1/2014, 19:15

Oh my Jack! And I thought mine looked complicated. LOL! Yours looks worse. I wonder if a Best Buy would do what you are suggesting for me. I will have to go through the phone book to see if there any actual computer repair shops in my home town, which is about 30 minutes from me. The town I live in now is small and if you blink you will miss it all. Lol.

Thank you though, for helping me, answering my questions and making the small tutorial. I feel like I have bugged the crap out of you. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   22/1/2014, 20:26

No problems hun. you can bug me as often as you need to. Best buy is an option but you might find the same thing with that. i think i was just luck to be able to do it with mine. if you can't find anywhere near you depending on how much it would cost. you could always send it by post to me and i could do it in my p.c and send everything back to you. :) XX
Back to top Go down
jenny0786
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   22/1/2014, 20:30

I am going to see if maybe my uncle can help me out. He lives about 90 miles away; but if he cannot do it; I will see how much it would cost to ship it over to you. Very Happy

There aren't many people that I can turn to in my time of need with computers. My uncle works a full time job and I don't go his way very often. So I really do appreciate you helping me Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A hard drive question   22/1/2014, 20:31

no problems hun. i'm always happy to help. :) XX
Back to top Go down

A hard drive question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1