Sim Players and Creators Forum. Not Associated or Affiliated with EA

HomePortalDownloadsFAQSearchRegisterLog in
We are moving to SimsaholicsForever.com. Everyone is welcome at our new site being set up now. Come and visit us!
ATTENTION ALL - AdFly has been removed from the forum. (Simsaholics Forever is AD-FREE to members and guests.)
Share | 

Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sojourn98
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   15/1/2014, 19:49

So the only thing I play is The Sims 3, I have all EPs except SN and ITF I also use a lot of cc. I want to use a nice HQ mod for my pictures. I don't want to build a pc. I am not tech savvy. I read good reviews on this pc on Amazon. Of course I have to purchase a monitor. I am on a budget these days so this is a good price for me ($700). What do you think? Thanks in advance

System: AMD FX 4100 3.60GHz Quad-Core | AMD 760G Chipset | 8GB DDR3 | 1TB HDD | Genuine Windows 8 64-bit
Graphics: Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card | 24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Drive | Audio: 7.1 Channel | Gigabit LAN | Front Fan Control Panel | Keyboard & Mouse
Expansion Bays/Slots Total(Free): 3(1) Ext. 5.25" | 6(5) Int. 3.5" | 2(2) Int. 2.5" | 1(0) PCI | 1(1) PCI-E x1 | 1(0) PCI-E x16 | 4(3) DIMM 240P
Connectivity: 4x USB 3.0 | 5x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 802.11b/g/n Wireless | Audio | 1x DVI | 1x VGA | 1x HDMI
Chassis: In-Win Mana 134 Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/400 Watt Power Supply |

Back to top Go down
http://www.reaganleeds.wordpress.com
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   15/1/2014, 22:27

That will most definitely run the game, and it should run it well! It more than meets the system requirements for the game with multiple expansions on Windows 8.

Fast processor, plenty of memory and storage space, and a dedicated graphics card. It's everything a computer needs to run a game like Sims 3 smoothly.

With the graphics and RAM combined, you'll have no trouble using a HQ mod. Those mods are not recommended for every day game play regardless, but if you were to use one, either way, this computer should be able to cope with pushing the graphics processor a bit harder. Perfect for screenshots!

As always, watch out for overheating - as a general rule, the better the computer, the more heat it's going to generate. That's nothing to worry about really, just try not to keep it cooped up under a desk with no ventilation - it'll have it's own fans, so like I said, it's not a huge problem, just something to keep an eye on!

So yeah, for the amount you're paying, that seems like a pretty good deal! The bottom line is, if you were to buy that right now, it would run the game, and it would run smoothly on high settings. If you're happy with that, go for it!

(Also, if you need to check any other computers' specs - this is probably the most well set out guide I've seen.)
 more love
Back to top Go down
http://scribblingsbyme.blogspot.com/
sojourn98
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   15/1/2014, 22:44

Thanks so much Isla, I heard you were the pc guru. Unfortunately I didn't grab that one in time, which I okay because I'd rather stick with Windows 7, this other one is comparable however. I would need to buy a monitor as well. Do you have any recommendations? I want at least 20 inches, hopefully within the $100-120 range, thanks again for your help!

Processor: AMD FX 4100 3.60GHz Quad-Core; Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset; Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; Hard Drive: 500GB (7200 RPM); Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD6670 1GB Video Card; Optical Drive: 22X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive; Audio: High Definition 2/4/5.1/7.1 Channel; Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Expansions: Bays Total (Free) - 3 ( 1 ) External 5.25"; 6 ( 5 ) Internal 3.5"; 2 ( 2 ) Internal 2.5"; Slots Total (Free) - 1 ( 1 ) PCI; 1 ( 1 ) PCI Express x1; 1 ( 0 ) PCI Express x16; 2 ( 0 ) DIMM 240-Pin
Connectivity: 2 x PS/2; 5 x Hi-Speed USB 2.0 [1 front, 4 rear]; 1 x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T; Audio; 1 x DVI; 1 x HDMI; 1 x D-Sub VGA
Chassis: In-Win MANA 134 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with 400 Watt Power Supply; Accessories: Keyboard and Optical Mouse with Scroll; Service & Support Details: 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty; Free Lifetime Tech Support

Back to top Go down
isla87

PostSubject: Re: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   15/1/2014, 23:00

Aww, I wish I were a PC guru! I would save myself so much money, haha! It's no problem at all!

I'm ok with the bits and pieces inside these things, but I'm not too sure about the monitors!
Jack is our resident expert on that side of things, I've lost count of the amount of times he's built and re-built computers! I'll drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll take a look for you. He'll be able to tell you much more than I can!

I'm totally with you on the Windows 7 business. I've been dreading having to switch! Although saying that, I got my sister a new laptop with Windows 8 and I was pleasantly surprised! I could get used to it!  twins 

The new computer you've chosen is almost exactly the same as the old one, so nothing to worry about there. It has a much smaller hard drive though - this won't affect performance, and since you're not wanting to store a ton of games on there, you shouldn't have any trouble.
If you did want to expand the storage, external hard drives are dirt cheap these days, so don't let that put you off!

more love 
Back to top Go down
http://scribblingsbyme.blogspot.com/
sojourn98
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   15/1/2014, 23:19

@isla87 wrote:
Aww, I wish I were a PC guru! I would save myself so much money, haha! It's no problem at all!

I'm ok with the bits and pieces inside these things, but I'm not too sure about the monitors!
Jack is our resident expert on that side of things, I've lost count of the amount of times he's built and re-built computers! I'll drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll take a look for you. He'll be able to tell you much more than I can!

I'm totally with you on the Windows 7 business. I've been dreading having to switch! Although saying that, I got my sister a new laptop with Windows 8 and I was pleasantly surprised! I could get used to it!  twins 

The new computer you've chosen is almost exactly the same as the old one, so nothing to worry about there. It has a much smaller hard drive though - this won't affect performance, and since you're not wanting to store a ton of games on there, you shouldn't have any trouble.
If you did want to expand the storage, external hard drives are dirt cheap these days, so don't let that put you off!

more love 

Great thanks a lot! I'm just so worried about Windows 8 and the issues I have heard Sims players have had so I am not sure. Yes that was the only thing I really noticed was with hard drive space being smaller. Great I will look forward to hearing from Jack then, thank you so much again!

Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   16/1/2014, 00:13

Hi sojourn. how are you.

right first of all i need to know what is your budget ?? what amount of room dose you have to place it. i myself don't use monitors. most p.c's these days have a HDMi socket coming from the Graphics Card. so i would recommend using a flat screen LCD T.V. Don't use a Plasma as if a picture is on the screen to long it burns an image on to the screen. i wish i had an LCD one now.

Now most T.V's these days have HDMi & PC IN sockets. and thats the same for most sizes. ie 19",20", 32" i think a 32" would be a great start for anyone to start with. and you can pick them up for around £100-£200 or less

example this is the back of my 50" Plasma T.V

and just so you can see what i play on. lol

if you need any more help just send me a pm. :) XX

are you thinking lol
Back to top Go down
sojourn98
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   16/1/2014, 13:55

Jack Wilson wrote:
Hi sojourn. how are you.

right first of all i need to know what is your budget ?? what amount of room dose you have to place it. i myself don't use monitors. most p.c's these days have a HDMi socket coming from the Graphics Card. so i would recommend using a flat screen LCD T.V. Don't use a Plasma as if a picture is on the screen to long it burns an image on to the screen. i wish i had an LCD one now.

Now most T.V's these days have HDMi & PC IN sockets. and thats the same for most sizes. ie 19",20", 32" i think a 32" would be a great start for anyone to start with. and you can pick them up for around £100-£200 or less

example this is the back of my 50" Plasma T.V

and just so you can see what i play on. lol

if you need any more help just send me a pm. :) XX

are you thinking  lol

Thx! I sent you a pm.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Are These PC Specs good for Gaming?   16/1/2014, 15:22

i've just replied to it. :) XX